Welcome to the Vip's Forum, are you 11 - 18 years old? Sign in or Join

Tree planting

Latest post 06-18-2008 9:01 PM by richard. 50 replies.
  • 01-21-2008 7:32 PM

Tree planting

Hi everyone,

I'm one of the 2006/07 Defra climate change champs and I am trying to set up a tree planting scheme. To see how many trees we can plant around the country to help absorb some CO2.

Next month I will be helping to plant 1000 trees in a local woodland park so I thought I would try to get a tree planting scheme up and running around the country... or possibly worldwide?

It would be a great idea to plant a tree in your garden or a woodland park(ask permission) in memory of a loved one, birthday etc. Or just because they are very good for the environment. Broadleafed trees like Oak are best but any tree is better than nothing.Small oak tree saplings will be fairly cheap at most garden centres. It would be also really good if you could encourage your schools to plant some trees in the grounds. I have got my school to do this as not only is it good for the environment but trees look really nice.

Thank you,

David :) 

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun.
    Filed under:
  • 01-23-2008 9:19 AM In reply to

• kitty
    • United Kingdom
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • Posts 34

Re: Tree plating

Hi Eco Warrior,

I think your tree planting scheme is a brilliant idea and I'm sure alot of people will be interested in joining in. It's something that is so easy to do but could make a huge difference.

I reckon schools all around the country would be able to take part - maybe there could be a national planting day or something - could there be a World Record in there somewhere?! Lots of schools are going to have the space and the scheme could provide a great project for all of the kids.

Has anyone else's school been involved in a scheme like this, or have you planted a tree in your garden at home?

• 01-23-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

• Swampy
    • United Kingdom
    • Joined on 07-30-2007
    • Posts 256

Re: Tree planting

There is a beautiful movie called 'The man who planted trees' which was made from a book by Jean Giono. It is about the way one man made a massive difference by planting trees - the animation is stunningly beautiful and the whole story is very inspirational - I saw it years ago and I can still remember it vividly.

Anyone else seen it - do you think it should be shown in schools?

Lots of small steps can make Great strides! Founder of Footprint Friends - It's amazing what we can achieve.

• 01-23-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

I think planting a tree is a good ldea

It would be interesting to do at school as a project.

Pika-chu
  • 01-23-2008 5:11 PM In reply to

Hi all,

Thank you for your supportive comments.

I have planted many trees in the past and it's quite enjoyable. I thought the Footprint Friends site would be a good place to form a tree planting group and make our world a greener place. I have just been to see my headmistress today about planting some trees in the school grounds I'll let you know how I get on. The best trees to plant are Oak, Birch, Rowan, Ash and Cherry. I hope to purhase and plant 25 more trees this weekend in memory of my grandma and grandpa.

Eco warrior

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun.
  • 01-24-2008 11:36 AM In reply to

• Swampy
    • United Kingdom
    • Joined on 07-30-2007
    • Posts 256

Hi,

Our team are looking into ways in which we can promote tree planting via this site - so keep watching...

Saw this in the news today - the picture is quite alarming - all those trees must have taken years to grow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7206165.stm

Lots of small steps can make Great strides! Founder of Footprint Friends - It's amazing what we can achieve.

• 01-24-2008 12:24 PM In reply to

this is shocking, i cant believe we're that desperate for wood that we have eliminated so many unknown species of animal ive planned to visit the amazon river and several other locations in the brazilian rainforest i just cant beleive that if and when i go it will be so bare it may become a pointless trip.

jonathan

• 01-24-2008 6:16 PM In reply to

Hi Swampy,

Just read the inspiring story about 'the man who planted trees' just goes to show how one determined person can make a diffference.

I have not seen the movie but by reading the story of it I think it would be an idea to show it in schools.

Just got my trees today which I am going to plant on Sunday. If you are planting where rabbits live you need to get rabbit guards and canes.

Eco Warrior

• 01-24-2008 8:47 PM In reply to

Planting up the trees is excellent because it soaks up carbon dioxide in the air, and its roots can suck the water up to prevent harsh floods. But people are cutting down trees so it cant soak up carbon dioxide in the air, and no trees mean no roots, so the water will wash away mud and cause harsh floods and storms, so the planting trees gets my vote.

What did they adult chimney say to the baby chimney? You're too young to smoke.
  • 01-25-2008 5:04 PM In reply to

Hi Butterfingers95,

You certainly know your trees.

• 01-25-2008 8:26 PM In reply to

Has any one in the forum ever planted a tree?

Is so what type of  tree was it, for what reason and where did you plant it?

Eco Warrior Big Smile

• 01-25-2008 8:40 PM In reply to

We have a grape vine that we planted a few years ago

Its really nice and when the season gets to about late summer its full of grapes mmmm :P

Together anything is possible In my previous life i was a little purple dragon!!
  • 01-26-2008 12:03 PM In reply to

i haven't planted a tree before, but i would like to

What did they adult chimney say to the baby chimney? You're too young to smoke.
  • 01-27-2008 4:58 PM In reply to

Eastleigh bourough concil has got a simple tree planting scheme. If your school is making steps towards being more environmentally friendly they give you some saplings to plant. My school managed to get 3 off them and they are now planted quite happily in the school grounds. Ill see if i can find a picture of it to upload. - Not sure if any don't have anyones face in.........

Theres so much pollution in the air now that if it werent for our lungs there would be no place to put it all. ~Robert Orben

• 01-27-2008 6:34 PM In reply to

Hi Butterfingers95,

Great to hear that you would like to plant a tree. Why don't you start an eco council at your school and raise some money by raffles, sales etc to buy some trees to plant in the grounds.

Eco Warrior

Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Fresh web design by Windy Tree - © 2008 Footprint Friends Ltd